- 750 gm chicken cut into small pieces
- 4 tbsp corn flour/ corn starch
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 8 green chillies chopped diagonally
- 6 big cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch size ginger finely julienned
- 1/2 green Bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow/red bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 big onion diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- A pinch of ajinomoto
- 2 cups chicken Broth/ Water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
Chilli chicken is a popular Indo-Chinese dish of chicken. In India, this may include a variety of dry chicken preparations.Though mainly boneless chicken is used in this dish, some people also recommend to use boned chicken too.
Make a batter with 3 tbsp cornstarch, 1 egg, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp soya sauce, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tbsp sugar. Put chicken pieces into it and mix well. Keep aside for 45 mins.
Heat oil in a chinese-wok/deep-frypan. Fry chicken pieces, in batches, till cooked to golden brown color (approx 7-8 mins for each batch). Drain fried chicken on a perforated vessel to drain out excess oil.
In a bowl mix corn starch and chicken Broth/ Water. Put back the frying pan/wok on fire. Heat 3 tbsp of oil. Add green chillies, garlic, ginger, green Bell pepper, yellow/red bell pepper, onion, White Pepper Powder, Green Onion and fry for 1 min. Add the remaining soya sauce and vinegar, stir for 30 seconds and add the cornstarch-chicken broth mixture. When bubbles appear add the chicken pieces. Keep stirring. Add salt 1 tsp, 1/2 tbsp sugar and a pinch of ajinomoto. Stril fry in high heat for 2 mins.
Your chilli chicken is ready. Serve hot with fried rice/ plain rice or noodles.