- 3 tbsp Posto/Poppy seeds
- 500 gm Jhinge/Ridge Gourd cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 medium sized aaloo/potato cut into 1/2 inch cube pieces
- 1/2 tsp Nigella/Kalonji/kalojire
- 3 slit Green Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder(optional you can put less I like it hot)
- Salt - To taste
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1/2 tsp corn flower
- 1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
Wash the vegetables
Grind with as little water as possible into a tight paste. Best result can be had if ground in a shil nora.
Heat oil in a Kadai/Pan. Add kalonji and let splutter for 30 sec.
Add the potato cubes, saute for 5 mins and add the ridge gourd slices and saute for 3 mins.
Add the posto/poppy seeds paste, turmeric powder, slit green chillies, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well with the vegetables and stir fry for for 2-3 mins.
Add 1 cup water, bring to a boil and simmer. Cover the kadhai with a lid and cook for about 10 mins till the vegetables are tender and cooked thoroughly.
Mix cornflower in 1/4 cup water and add. Stir well.
Your Jhinge aaloo posto is ready.
Serve hot with steamed rice and massoor daal (red lentils)